Slider

April 29, 2019

in

Our DIY Playhouse Makeover

Hi friends! I am so excited to share something that I've been working on over the last month with you today: our DIY playhouse makeover.



It all started with nostalgia over Roselyn turning two and me thinking back to my own childhood. My parents bought me a plastic playhouse to play pretend in when I was a toddler and I absolutely loved it! I wanted to give Rosie the same experience for her second birthday, but I also wanted it to be a playhouse that she could really grow with.

So, as every mom does after they put their little ones down for bed, I turned on Fixer Upper and browsed through Pinterest for DIY playhouse makeover ideas on Rosie's birthday weekend. The very next day, I saw a used Little Tikes Cape Cottage Playhouse on Facebook Marketplace that was on sale nearby for next to nothing and I knew it was meant to be!


We're definitely not Chip and Joanna Gaines but with some elbow grease and Rust-Oleum spray paint, we transformed the used playhouse into a minimalist and modern playhouse that Rosie loves!








We first soaked and then stripped the existing decals off of the house with Goo-Gone, which was the longest and most strenuous part of the playhouse makeover (some of the stickers had melted into the plastic after sitting in the hot Phoenix sun for a few years).

We then used a total of six cans of Rust-Oleum's "Paint and Primer in One" spray paint: four cans in "Amber" for the doors and roof of the playhouse and two cans in "Pure Gold" for the children's stool and flag pole holders. We found that it was more efficient to take the playhouse apart to paint pieces individually, rather than keep it intact.

We then put the playhouse back together and used durable kitchen stick and peel wallpaper from Target to create gingham shades for the windows of the playhouse. That's it!

We had so much fun working on this project together and Rosie is loving playing in her new playhouse – her favorite activities are sweeping inside her house and watering her plants before she sits inside and plays with her puppies.

Paint: Rust-Oleum
Plant, Pot and Stool: IKEA
Playhouse Numbers: Home Depot
Playhouse Rug: Target
Wallpaper: Target

Leave a comment:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan