Slider

May 1, 2015

in

Daytrip to Big Four Ice Caves

After I spent most of the month of April visiting with family and traveling across the Midwest, I dove headfirst back into our lives and routine here in the Northwest when I returned from my trip.

Before I knew it, I found myself in the last weekend of April and realized that we hadn't taken the time to explore anything here in the Northwest in the past month.

So, on the last sunny spring morning of April, we took off on a daytrip to a place that has been on our Washington State bucket list since we arrived here: The Big Four Ice Caves.


The ice caves are located at Big Four Mountain in the North Cascades, and have been formed from an avalanche debris pile at the bottom of the mountain. The ice and snow remains there year-round because of the shade provided by the mountain. 

We were also told that the ice forms the lowest-elevation glacier in the lower 49 states... which we thought was incredible and couldn't wait to get to explore!

After a short drive from Seattle to the Cascades, then a quick mile or two hike, we had arrived.














We had an incredible time hiking around Big Four Mountain and the Ice Caves. It is such a unique experience, and a place that I can't believe we waited so long to visit!

We have a lot that will be going on in this next month, of which I will be writing more about soon...

But expect to see many more adventures posted here this May!
CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan